Easy Pasta Sauce
Easy Pasta Sauce. Cooks in 10 minutes.
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Cook Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 20 minutes
- Servings 6 servings
- Calories 144 kcal
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 3-5 cloves garlic minced or put through a garlic press
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- pinch red pepper flakes about 1/4 teaspoon (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 pat butter, about 2 teaspoons
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup water
- Can make crushed tomatoes from whole. Quarter whole tomatoes and crush with potato masher after adding to pot
- Note: If using Cento tomatoes with basil is adding dried basil too much?
- Changed white sugar to brown
- Added optional to red pepper flakes
- Heat the olive oil over high heat until it shimmers. Saute the onions, stirring frequently, until they soften and shine, about three minutes. The onions should sizzle and hiss as they cook. Add the garlic. Stir to combine. This prevents the garlic from burning. Cook an additional two minutes. Add the basil, red pepper flakes, salt, and sugar. Stir to combine. Add the butter. Stir, cook for about a minute.
- Add 1/2 can of the crushed tomatoes. Scrape the bottom of the pan to remove any stuck on bits. Reduce heat to low. Add remaining tomatoes. Stir in 1/4 cup water. If the sauce seems too thick, add additional water.
- Allow sauce to simmer for 10 minutes to up to one hour. If simmering for a longer, stir the sauce occasionally and add additional water as needed to keep the sauce at the correct consistency.
From Cook Fast Eat Well – Easy Pasta Sauce Recipe – By Elizabeth