January 22, 2022
We’re not fans of crust covered pies so this is ideal for us.
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Cook Time: 110 minutes
- Other: 120 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours 40 minutes
- Servings: 8
- Yield: 1 pie
- For Crust
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup ice water, plus more if needed
- For the Crumb Topping
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Option – 3/4 cup flour + 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, at room temperature
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- For the Filling
- 3 pounds mixed apples (such as Golden Delicious, Granny Smith and Gala), peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Make the crust: Whisk the flour, granulated sugar and salt in a large bowl. Rub the butter pieces into the flour using your fingers until pea-size pieces form. Drizzle in the vinegar and ice water; stir gently with a fork to combine. If the dough doesn’t hold together when you squeeze it, add more ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Turn out the dough onto a piece of plastic wrap and form into a disk; wrap tightly. Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into a 13-inch round. Ease into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim the edges, leaving a 1-inch overhang, then tuck the overhanging dough under itself; crimp the edges with a fork. Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Meanwhile, make the crumb topping: Mix the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl. Rub the butter into the mixture with your fingers until no longer floury and crumbs form. Freeze until ready to use.
- Make the filling: Place a foil-lined baking sheet on the lowest oven rack; preheat to 400˚. Mix the apples, melted butter, both sugars, flour, lemon juice, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Spoon the filling into the chilled pie crust. Pat the crumb mixture on top.
- Bake the pie on the hot baking sheet until lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350˚ and bake until the apples are completely soft when pierced with a paring knife, 60 to 80 more minutes. (If the topping is getting too dark, cover loosely with foil.) Transfer the pie to a rack to cool completely.
- I use half Granny Smith and half Honey Crisp for apples
- 2022-01-22 – Decided to make a pie in honor of National Pie day. OK it was on Sunday Jan 23 but since we had a nice dinner planned for the Saturday it seemed like the right time to give it a try. Came out great. Half granny smith and half honey crisp apples and I didn’t substitute any oats in the crumble but will next time,
- Food Network – Classic Apple Crumb Pie