Sept 3, 2022
Beef, barley and enough vegetables to round out this hearty soup.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Other: Unless beef is already available it will need to be cooked as well
- Total Time: 1 hr 10 min
- Servings: 8
- Yield: ~ 3 quart
Note: weights are from first time making this soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped (186g)
- 1 garlic clove minced (8g)
- 2 carrots sliced (123g)
- 1 stalk celery sliced (69g)
- 2 cups cooked beef (492g)
- 6 cups reduced sodium beef broth
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes 14-15 oz, undrained
- ½ green pepper diced (70g)
- ⅔ cup barley
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 package beef gravy mix
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons red wine optional
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (8g)
- 2 teaspoons dried
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook onions and garlic in oil over medium heat until softened.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered about 40-50 minutes or until barley is cooked.
- Remove bay leaf and serve.
- 2022-09-03 – First time making it. Made a double batch. Cooked 2 top round steaks (marinated for 9 hours) and used that (~3 lb raw and untrimmed). It turned out very well. I used Pioneer Beef Gravy mix that makes 2 cup for the double batch.
- From Spend With Pennies – Beef Barley Soup – By Holly