July 30, 2022
My favorite dessert for a summer harvest feast.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 45
- Servings: 8
- 1 cup (120g) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups (99g & 198g) white sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- ¼ cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 cups fresh blackberries, rinsed and drained
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, 1/2 cup (99g) sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 1/4 cup boiling water just until mixture is evenly moist.
- In a separate bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in cold water. Mix in remaining 1 cup sugar, lemon juice, and blackberries. Transfer to a cast iron skillet, and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Drop dough into the skillet by spoonfuls. Place skillet on the foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until dough is golden brown.
- 2022-07-30 – Made this for our summer harvest dinner. I’d made it before and it turned out well both times. I used what was supposed to be 3 pints of blackberries and it worked fine in a 10″ skillet. I understand people saying they made 2 batches of the topping but we planned for doing this à la mode so only 1 worked fine.