BONE-IN RIBEYE ROAST
Rich in flavor, juiciness and tenderness, with generous marbling throughout. We suggest planning 30 additional minutes. Approximately 15 minutes for searing the roast prior to roasting and approximately 15 minutes for the roast to rest before serving. Refer to the Roast Perfect App for specific times for your roast cut.
Prime Rib, Rib Roast, Ribeye Roast Bone-in, Standing Rib Roast
|Approx weight||Rare (125 °F)||Medium (145 °F)|
|4 lb||1 hr 45 min||2 hr 9 min|
|5 lb||1 hr 51 min||2 hr 18 min|
|6 lb||1 hr 57 min||2 hr 26 min|
|7 lb||2 hr||2 hr 33 min|
|8 lb||2 hr 11 min||2 hr 41 min|
|Degree of Doneness||Internal Core Temperature|
|Extra-rare or Blue (bleu)||
80 to 100 degrees F|
26 to 38 degrees C
120 to 125 degrees F|
49 to 51 degrees C
130 to 135 degrees F|
55 to 57 degrees C
140 to 145 degrees F|
60 to 63 degrees C
150 to 155 degrees F|
65 to 69 degrees C
160 degrees F and above|
71 degrees C
This standing rib roast recipe uses an adaptation of the classic English approach to a roast. It’s a perfect centerpiece for a holiday menu, and a traditional Christmas feast in the U.K. The beef is cooked to 120 degrees Fahrenheit, medium rare, and finishes cooking as it rests outside of the oven, before carving. If you prefer medium, take the standing rib roast out of the oven when the internal temperature.
- ⅓ cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 13 pound prime rib roast (5- rib chine bone removed)
- Preheat the oven to 450°. In a small bowl, mix the mustard with the garlic, thyme, pepper and 2 teaspoons of kosher salt. Whisk in the olive oil.
- Set the meat, bone side down, in a roasting pan and season it lightly with salt. Roast the meat in the lower third of the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the meat from the oven and reduce the temperature to 350°. Brush the mustard coating all over the top and sides of the meat and roast for about 1 1/2 hours longer, rotating the roasting pan 2 or 3 times for even browning. The meat is done when an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of the roast at the thickest part registers 120° (for medium rare). Transfer the roast to a carving board, cover it loosely with foil and let rest for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Set the roast on its side and run a long, sharp knife between the bones and meat; remove the bones and set them aside. Turn the roast right side up. Carve the roast 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick and transfer the slices to warmed plates. Pour any carving juices over the meat and serve at once. For bone-gnawing carnivores, cut down between the rib bones and pass them on a plate.
- 2020-12-25 – Made the 2 rib version for COVID Christmas 2020. Used the recipe version of the mustard sauce since it wasn’t worth trying to reduce proportionally and it turned out great.
- From Food & Wine – By Bruce Aidells – December 2000 – Standing Rib Roast of Beef