This soup is delicious, and very easy to make. A day or two after I’ve done a roasted chicken this often gets made with the leftovers.
Last Updated: July 1, 2023
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Other: 30 min to cook chicken if not already cooked
- Total Time: 1 hour +
- Servings: 10
- Yield: 1 pot
- 4 (22 oz) cups chopped, cooked chicken meat
- 1 (120g) cup chopped celery
- ¼ (35g) cup chopped carrots
- ¼ (40g) cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup butter
- 8 ounces egg noodles / bow-tie pasta
- 12 cups water (may want a little more broth with pasta)
- 10 (60g) teaspoons chicken Better Then Bouillon
- ½ teaspoon dried marjoram
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3-4 tablespoons chopped, fresh parsley
- In a large stock pot, Saute celery and onion in butter or margarine.
- Add chicken, carrots, water, bouillon cubes, marjoram, black pepper, bay leaf, and parsley. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add pasta/noodles, and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- I often use bow-tie pasta instead of the egg noodles. I’ve also used rice.
- The original recipe calls for using 1 tbsp dry parsley and I always use 3-4 tbsp fresh chopped parsley instead.
- Original calls for bouillon cubes but I use Better Than Bouillon. I think it’s better and easier to use.
- Since I make this a lot after doing a roasted chicken I usually replace some of the water & bouillon with a broth made from the carcass, onion, celery, etc. Superior result and makes better use of the chicken.
- 2023-06-30 – It’s been way too hot and WAY to dry so time for chicken soup, right. Again, bow-tie pasta and everyone enjoyed it. No roast chicken this time but was a fast way to have lunch the next day.
- 2022-02-03 – We had the heaviest snowfall in 3 years today so making soup out of some of the leftover roast chicken we had yesterday seemed like a good idea. Used bow-tie pasta. It smelled and tasted great.
- 2022-11-12 – First extended freezing weather of the season so time to make some soup. As the last time I used bow-tie pasta. Saving for tomorrow but should be good as ever.
- 2023-03-03 – A cold, rainy day and another leftover roasted chicken became very good soup. Got 5+ cups of broth out of the chicken carcass. Made with bowtie pasta and added an extra cup of broth because the soup was a bit thick after the after the pasta was ready. Hot soup in front of the fire for dinner. Nothing better for a cold evening!