January 28, 2022
This is one of many sweet cornbread recipes I’ve found. I generally go to this one because there’s no inclusion of buttermilk. Nothing against buttermilk but I seem to throw a lot away when I buy it for one recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total Time: 35 min
- Servings: 12
- Yield: 1 – 9″ round pan
- 1 cup (120g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (156g) yellow cornmeal
- 2/3 cup (133g) white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spray or lightly grease a 9 inch round cake pan or iron skillet.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder. Stir in egg, milk and vegetable oil until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- 2022-06-11 – Was making this for company so didn’t make any changes to sugar. Asked folks about it and even thought they like sweet cornbread were fine with trying to reduce by 25%. Did it in the iron skillet again and it was great.
- 2022-04-29 – Didn’t cut down on sugar because I decided to bake it in an iron skillet. Worked perfectly. So next time reduce sugar to 100g.
- 2022-01-27 – Made with chicken and savory spinach. Very good. Have made this several times before. May cut down on sugar a little next time just to reduce calories.
- Allrecipes – Golden Sweet Cornbread – bluegirl