November 5, 2023
We generally have a sour cream onion dip on special occasions and this balances things out for those that like a more Mexican flare.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 6 or 50 min
- Total Time: vrs.
- Servings: 4-6
- 2/3 c. half-and-half
- 8 oz. queso blanco, cubed
- 8 oz. pepper jack, shredded
- 1 (4-oz.) can diced green chiles
- 1/4 c. cooked corn kernels (optional)
- 1/4 c. black beans (optional)
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced (optional)
- Stovetop method: To a large, high-sided skillet over medium heat, add the half-and-half, then the queso blanco, pepper jack, and green chiles. Cook the queso until the cheese is melted, stirring frequently, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish.
- Slow-cooker method: Add the half-and-half, queso blanco, pepper jack, and green chiles to the base of a slow-cooker. Cover and cook on high for 50 minutes, stirring halfway through and again at the end. Reduce the temperature of the slow cooker to warm and keep covered until ready to serve, up to 2 hours, or transfer to a serving dish.
- Top with the corn kernels, black beans, and jalapeño, if you like.
- You can swap the queso blanco for equal amounts of American cheese or Velveeta. You can also use equal amounts of sharp cheddar, gouda (smoked or regular), or colby jack instead of the pepper jack. Add in cooked, crumbled chorizo or ground beef, shredded rotisserie chicken, sautéed poblano peppers or mushrooms. And top with what I mentioned above or anything else your heart desires!
- Pepper Jack Queso – The Pioneer Woman