November 23, 2022
Solves the problem of what to do with the left over turkey carcass after Thanksgiving. Nothing too special about it. I use the basically the same thing after cooking a whole chicken.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 2 hr 15 min
- Total Time: 2 hr 30 min
- Yield: ~1 gallon
- 1 left-over turkey carcass
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 stalks of celery, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 gallon of water to cover
- Using a sharp knife, cut the carcass into smaller pieces.
- In a large pot, add the carcass, vegetables, bay leaves, thyme, and peppercorns. Season with salt. Cover with water. Place the pot over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to simmer and cook for 2 hours. Skim off any scum that rises to the surface.
- Remove from the heat and strain.
- I use this a lot for both turkey and chicken. Just cut down the quantity of ingredients used a bit for smaller birds.
- Food Network – Turkey Bone Stock Recipe – Emeril Lagasse